I am a BACP registered counsellor, qualified to work with individuals and couples, with my main area of interest being working with couples where one or both partners identifies as being on the autism spectrum.
“Dear Lisa, I cannot thank you enough for giving me the chance to DREAM and have hope again.“
Despite learning about various theoretical models during my counselling training years, I encountered many clients that did not respond to these particularly well. Many counsellors and counselling supervisors might say that this is due to the client not engaging fully in the counselling, or the relationship between the counsellor not being quite right, and certainly for some this will have been the case.
“Thanks for all your amazing help. You have significantly improved my life.”
For others however, I got the sense that I was missing something, and during my training with Relate I discovered the book Asperger’s in Love by Maxine Aston. For many clients this filled in the gaps, and led me to doing more training to be able to support these clients better. I also began to recognise autism in family members, and the realisation that I had significant personal experience increased my understanding, and enhanced the support I could offer clients.
“Just wanted to thank you for helping me for the short time I saw you – it really did help.”
I now have the skills to work more successfully with clients with autism, and continue to enhance these by attending regular training and CPD events. My work is also supported through regular supervision with a supervisor who has extensive knowledge and experience in the field of autism.
“I’m really grateful for your help. You got us talking and listening to each other in a way that we were failing to do before.”
My life has been enriched and enhanced both personally and professionally through greater awareness and acceptance of autism. My clients inspire me and teach me so much more than the textbooks ever could, and to each one of them I am grateful.
Qualifications and Training
- MA Autism Spectrum (Sheffield Hallam University)
- BA (Hons) Counselling Solutions (University of Hull)
- Relate Certificate of Proficiency
- Diploma in Relationship Counselling (Relate)
- Counselling Skills Level 3
- Counselling Skills Level 2
- Certificate in Understanding Autism (L2)
- Certificate in Equality & Diversity (L2)
- Certificate in Mental Health Awareness (L2)
- Certificate in Understanding Behaviour that Challenges (L2)
- Certificate in Health & Nutrition (L2)
- I have completed further training in;
- Working Therapeutically with Aspergers
- Asperger Syndrome: Working clinically with individuals and couples affected by the
- Twins and Relationships
- LGBT+ Inclusion Training
- Solution Focused Therapy
- Couples Therapy for Depression
- Social Stories™ (10.2) See What is a Social Story?
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
- Online Therapy
- Eagala Certified Practitioner. (equine-assisted therapy) See Eagala model
Online counselling via the video call service Zoom is available if you do not live near to the counselling venue.